Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Proj 365 May 3rd

 Experimenting time again. The only way you ever truly learn is by trying and experimenting and making mistakes.  I never shoot a really high shutter speed (although I wish I had gone faster at the Seymour Johnson AFB Air Show a few weeks ago; boy they move fast!) so I decided to experiment and take some shots as fast as my camera (Nikon D300) could go. So I set the ISO to 200 and went to 1/8000 sec and opened the shutter to f/2.8 and turned on the overhead ceiling fan lights with everything else turned off. Here are 4 40 watt light bulbs.
 Dropped it down to 1/4000 sec next but to avoid boredom, here is 1/2000 sec. Here you could kind figure out what it is.
 Skipping the 1/1000 sec, here is 1/500 sec. BTW, nothing was done to these photos in Lightroom 2 to preserved the effect. The color shift is not a white balance function but simply the change in the amount of light and the shutter speed. Everything else is the same.
 Here is 1/60 sec, what most people shoot at or around. The lightbulbs are now blown out or overexposed. On the camera, the white spots of the bulbs are "blinking" to tell me of the overexposure.
Finally, a little flash with about -1 1/3 flash exposure. Notice that now you can see the ceiling. The 4 40 watt bulbs simply didn't have to power to have an impact on the photo even at a speed of only 1/60 sec. If I had held the shutter open longer, you would have begun seeing the ceiling as the shutter was open longer but I didn't feel like dragging out my tripod.

No comments:

Post a Comment