Saturday, March 26, 2011

Proj 365 Mar 26th

OK, a little humble pie time. I was already to blow yesterday's shot away. Got out the Nikon D300 with the 80-200 f/2.8 zoom. Screwed my Canon D500 lens onto the end of the lens (The ONLY Canon lens that will work on a Nikon. Actually it is more like a filter but since it is a double element glass lens, its a lens.) This changes the minimum close up focus from 6 feet (!) to a minimum of 19 inches.

Not I was able to get much closer. Neither yesterday's or today's shots are cropped at all. They are an uncropped head to head comparison.


So why is this shot not as sharp up front? Actually it is sharp just past the center of the flower. But I was hand holding and it is easier with this setup to move the camera back and forth and then fine-tune with the focus ring. But it was starting to drizzle rain. Time was ticking. I thought it looked ok in the tiny LCD screen but not when I opened it up on the computer screen. This is why you want to check the image on the LCD screen and zoom in on the image to check; I didn't; I let circumstances "push me". I needed to either increase the depth of field or move my focal point a little to the front.


So the verdict. The P&S got the overall better shot but the DSLR got the closer shot and would have been the better if I had not let circumstances push me.

No comments:

Post a Comment